Mr. Nobody

In this forum, the topics are up to you. Whether it's about Law of Attraction, Science, Metaphysics, Spiritual, World Events and News, etc....
James Sawyer

Mr. Nobody

Post by James Sawyer »

I don't know how I never came across this movie before but it's got an interesting premise. Here's the Wiki summary:

Mr. Nobody is a 2009 science fiction drama film. It was written and directed by Jaco Van Dormael, produced by Philippe Godeau, and starring Jared Leto, Sarah Polley, Diane Kruger, Linh Dan Pham, Rhys Ifans, Natasha Little, Toby Regbo and Juno Temple. The film tells the life story of Nemo Nobody, a 118 year-old man who is the last mortal on Earth after the human race has achieved quasi-immortality. Nemo, memory fading, refers to his three main loves and to his parent's divorce and subsequent hardships endured at three main moments in his life; him at age nine, fifteen and thirty-four. Nemo tells the story including alternate life paths, often changing course with the flick of a decision at each of those ages. The film uses nonlinear narrative and the many-worlds interpretation to tell the story of Nemo's life.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0485947/

I'll probably watch it over the next few days but I am curious about how they handle the alternate life paths and many worlds/realities.
Idealistic

Re: Mr. Nobody

Post by Idealistic »

Merlin mentioned it briefly before. It interested me enough that I decided to sit down and watch it.

...It was ah...
...Um. Well it was kind of like uh...
..Err...

...Aww man. I don't even know. Cloud Atlas is a movie I'd consider to be one of my personal favourites. This followed the same sort of
"non-linear storytelling" type deal that Cloud Atlas did... But it just didn't quite make enough sense or have enough payoff in my opinion.

Since it was just so out there... I'm still not entirely sure what I watched or how I felt about it...
That being said, The trailer was probably better than the movie.
Merlin
Site Admin

Post by Merlin »

Idealistic wrote:Merlin mentioned it briefly before. It interested me enough that I decided to sit down and watch it.

...It was ah...
...Um. Well it was kind of like uh...
..Err...

...Aww man. I don't even know.
Let's be honest, it sucked. :lol:

The trailer talked about parallel realities and parallel lives and it was sooooooo promising but boy the movie was looooonnnnggg and boring. :roll:

Sorry James but just telling it like it is. Cloud Atlas was also long and without a punch. I don't know if they fuck it up on purpose to avoid driving a fascination about parallel realities but they could have done a much better job here.

Merlin
Idealistic

Post by Idealistic »

Merlin wrote: Let's be honest, it sucked. :lol:
...Okay, yeah. I admit it. It did. It really really did.

I couldn't suspend my disbelief far enough to swallow the whole... Err. Spoiler. Y'know, the reason he could remember everything. It just seemed so silly.

That being said, I didn't HATE it. It's just... after you watch it, you kind of want to jump to another reality where you can get your two and a half hours back.

...Actually that's pretty much the same thing as hating it huh?

Merlin wrote:Cloud Atlas was also long and without a punch.
We'll have to agree to disagree there though. :lol:
James Sawyer

Post by James Sawyer »

Thanks for the input, guys :lol: I hate how they fuck up a great premise with shoddy filmmaking. Maybe I will put it into the bottom of my to-watch list.

Cloud Atlas left me a little seething. So long and so difficult to engage. Some parts were fascinating and other parts were bloody unwatchable.

Not in the realm of parallel realities or worlds, I watched a great film recently. It's called Prisoners (2013) and it is an old school thriller. Hugh Jackman was great.
Perun

Post by Perun »

I caught few minutes of Mr. Nobody when it was on television about two months ago. I immediately connected it with NAP. We'll watch it in the coming future.
Dxavi

Post by Dxavi »

I think Mr. Nobody is a work of art, I agree that you can't find a lot of action, etc. It's about choices. I remember this line "You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible". The end of the movie says it all.
The way they put the stories (non-linear), I believe it actually helps the brain to create pathways to understand the story.